Community Archive - SanTan Sun News - page 3

Community

New facilities relieve crowding at 4,100-student Hamilton High

New facilities relieve crowding at 4,100-student Hamilton High

September 12th, 2018 | by SanTan Sun News
By Zach Alvira, Sports Editor Students and faculty at Hamilton High were greeted by new facilities for the 2018-19 school year, including an academic building and athletics field house. “We began programming the new building...
Regional medical center leads skin cancer fight

Regional medical center leads skin cancer fight

September 10th, 2018 | by SanTan Sun News
By Cecilia Chan, Staff Writer Sheldon Riggs said his right forearm started itching one day and continued to do so the next morning when he woke up. He scratched and felt a sharp nerve pain shoot up his arm. Sensing something was...
I’m new in town, so Wave me down!

I’m new in town, so Wave me down!

September 5th, 2018 | by SanTan Sun News
City of Chandler Hello. My name is Wave. No last name. Just Wave. Like Sting. Or Cher. Or Pink, but I’m blue. I’m new in town and wanted to introduce myself. I’m living in downtown Chandler giving people free rides from the...
Despite no final results, Chandler Council races appear over

Despite no final results, Chandler Council races appear over

By Paul Maryniak, Executive Editor Chandler voters appear to have returned two incumbents to City Council while a former member and a hopeful who lost a bid two years ago appear poised to claim the other two open seats. A...
County okays metal recycling center near Sun Lakes homes

County okays metal recycling center near Sun Lakes homes

By Cecilia Chan, Staff A metal recycling center near Chandler and Sun Lakes can keep its doors open for business despite resident complaints about traffic, noise and unsightliness. Maricopa County Board of Supervisors last week...
City Manager shares progress on strategic goals

City Manager shares progress on strategic goals

City of Chandler Great things are happening in Chandler every day and city employees are playing a big part in that success as they strive to achieve the City Council’s Strategic Policy Goals. That was the message delivered to...
4 cats, 4 dogs eager to find homes in Chandler

4 cats, 4 dogs eager to find homes in Chandler

By Santan Sun News Staff Chandler residents looking for a pet might want to consider the four dogs and four cats looking for homes at two rescue shelters in the area. Three of the dogs and three cats are now at Friends for Life...
We wish we didn’t need your support, but…

We wish we didn’t need your support, but…

September 4th, 2018 | by SanTan Sun News
By Dan Shufelt, Guest Writer I enjoy sharing the work we do every day at Arizona Helping Hands with our community. I believe it’s important to spread the word of a small charity making a BIG difference for the 15,000+ children...
With no police powers, Arizona Rangers still protect and serve

With no police powers, Arizona Rangers still protect and serve

September 3rd, 2018 | by SanTan Sun News
By Cecilia Chan, Staff While Arizona was a territory, a company of men rode its untamed terrain on horseback, chasing down rustlers, murderers and other scofflaws. The Arizona Rangers combated lawlessness for nearly eighty years...
Volunteers needed for award-winning literacy program

Volunteers needed for award-winning literacy program

September 1st, 2018 | by SanTan Sun News
By Colleen Sparks, Managing Editor Volunteers are needed for an unusual and award-winning reading program that has helped boost reading levels among children in public housing and foster their love of the written word. ASPIRE...